Three Rivers Marathon Swim
Annual 30K along the Ohio, Monongahela and Allegheny Rivers in the City of Steel.
Team Forever will host the 7th Annual Three Rivers Marathon Swim (#3RMS) on Saturday, September 11, 2021. This unique 30K open water swimming event benefits Team Forever, which donates 100% of the 3RMS profit to the Forever Fund. The fund benefits local families in need of help to cover the costs associated with infant cardiothoracic surgery at the UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh.
Please visit Darren’s website for more information on the history of Team Forever, and the Forever Fund.
We launch at 7:30AM with powered escorts, kayaking teams and all crew from Kayak Pittsburgh North Shore, (Kayak Pittsburgh – Venture Outdoors) and head over to “the Point” (Point State Park) where swimmers will begin with a water start from the Point State Park Fountain.
- Swimmers will be fed from a designated kayak. Additional supplies (water/supplements) will be on the second kayak. Should it be required, additional water will be available aboard one of our powered escort boats which will patrol the course during the entire swim.
- Swimmers will have two kayak volunteers to flank them at all times, with information provided in advance to communicate. Swimmers can bring their own kayakers/kayaks with them. Part of the entrance fee goes to cover the kayaks from Kayak Pittsburgh North Shore who have been kind enough to allow us a 50% discount.
Swimmers will swim north, current assist, along 5K of the Ohio River where they will turn around at Brunot Island, and swim 5K, against the current, back to the city. Once the swimmers hit the Point State Park 10K mark, they will begin swimming against the current to the half-way point (15K) on the Monongahela River, for the Hot Metal Bridge turnaround point Swimmers will return to the starting point once again for the 20K mark. Swimmers will make the turn around the Point, and head out against the tide of 5K of the Allegheny River to the 40th Street Bridge, and head back (current assist) the final 5K to the Point (along the city-side of the Allegheny) the original starting point, for a buoy finish. Swimmers will exit the water via a powered escort, and return to the Kayak Pittsburgh North Shore location.
Distance: Roughly 30K – 3 X 10K, out-and-back, in each of the three rivers; (1) Ohio, (2) Monongahela and (3) Allegheny
Format: 2 kayakers/swimmer, powered escort boats and Pittsburgh River Rescue/Pittsburgh Police/Coast Guard in support
Water Temperature: Average +/-72F
Water Conditions: Usually calm during first 10K (Ohio River), boat traffic and potential headwinds churn up the Monongahela and the Allegheny Rivers. Overall, current is minimal. Keep in touch with local river conditions (Allegheny River Conditions)
**Time Cutoff** Strict 12-hours cut-off. 4-hour 10K pace. I believe safety is the most important aspect of any marathon swim. Twilight will begin to set in after the 12-hour mark. It can potentially be a very busy Allegheny River, and I want my swimmers to be visible.
3RMS Swimming Attire: Marathon Swimming Costume
This marathon swimming event will not only give hope and encouragement, but will provide the opportunity for families to remain together during the biggest challenges of their lives. Can you handle swimming 30K through the Ohio, Monongahela and Allegheny Rivers?
Darren E. Miller, Race Director
2020 3RMS Results
***CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19***
2019 3RMS Results
Christopher Graefe (Massachusetts) 8:03:04
Maggie Marody (Ohio) 8:47:55
Mark Spratt (Indiana) 10:04:01
Jeanne DeBonis (Ohio) 10:33:57
Mary Stella (Pennsylvania) 11:51:15
Eric Schall (Pennsylvania) 12:00:00
Kyle Gallagher (Maryland) 12:00:00
2018 3RMS Results
***CANCELLED DUE TO FLOODING***
2017 3RMS Results
- John Humenik (New York) & Stephen Rouch (Indiana) – 7:27:26 *NEW COURSE RECORD
- Christopher Graefe (Massachusetts) – 8:04:05
- Abby Fairman (New York) – 9:07:34
- Devon Clifford (New York) – 9:31:33
- Tim Root (Texas) – 9:44:22
- Jan Burton (Maryland) – 10:06:52
- John Batchelder (Colorado – Butterfly) – 10:10:40
- Kyle Gallagher (Maryland) – 10:38:27
- Paula Yankauskas (Vermont) – 11:42:45
- Tom Minnock (Pennsylvania) – 11:51:12
2016 3RMS Results
The event this year was an alumni relay event to finalize the official route beginning in front of the fountain at Point State Park, and utilizing 30K (18.6-miles) of the Ohio, Monongahela and Allegheny Rivers! Kim Plewa (NJ), Janet Manning (MD), Melodee Nugent (WI), Anthony McCarley (PA) and Tim Bachman (PA) took turns completing the 9:08, 30K course, which averaged around 76-77F water temperature, and 68-75F mix of clouds and sunshine! Light winds, with the occasional gust, with little flow to report.
2015 3RMS Results
- Sarah Thomas (Colorado) and John Humenik (Pennsylvania) – 7:48:48 *NEW COURSE RECORD
- Kristin Jones (Arizona) – 8:25:00
- Chris Greene (Georgia) – 8:35:50
- Kimberly Plewa (New York) – 10:16:34
2014 3RMS Results
- 09:15 – Melodee Nugent (Wisconsin)
- 11:37 – Anthony McCarley (Pennsylvania)
- 12:24 – Janet Manning (Maryland)